Monday, February 25, 2008

Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes...

33 weeks...If you would have asked me six weeks ago what that looks like I would have told you I didn't know and didn't think I would ever find out! Yet, here we are...33 weeks and one day. I include the "and one day" part because honestly I didn't know if I would make it to today. Yesterday was probably one of the worst days of my entire pregnancy. No I wasn't having contractions, no I wasn't sick...I just was tired...and for the first time, doubting how much longer I could go. I felt overwhelmed, anxious and frustrated that my body could not cooperate with what my mind felt needed to happen. I'm not really sure why I felt this way yesterday but it was disheartening. I feel like I've done a really good job of "not sweating the small stuff" as they say. For those of you who know me and my habits well, then you also know that bed rest doesn't not exactly line up with how I roll. For the last six weeks I've overlooked a multitude of things that would have ordinarily driven me NUTS! (Thank you anal retentive Haverfield genes) But now...now...things are not so easily ignored. Case in point: I spent twenty minutes obsessing about a roll of remnant carpet that we have exposed in our garage and how if Jeremy doesn't cover it immediately, it will be ruined forever!! Can you say C-R-A-Z-Y! I truly must be "nesting." How I hate cliches. All I'm missing is the pickles and ice cream.
Alas, today is a different day. Today the clouds are gone and with them my irritation (for the most part). I am happy that I survived yesterday and I am thankful that my babies are one day healthier. I really do want to go another three weeks. I do! I think I'm becoming less convincing though. Oddly enough, the 28th of February has stuck out in my mind, along with Leanne, Grammy and Max. I hope and pray that it is not the case and I especially hope that they do not try and come on the 29th! What a problem that would be! Imagine explaining to your toddler children why their birthday doesn't appear on the calendar but everyone else in their small world does!
The babies just keep on growing though. I can tell because their movements have changed the last week or so. It's strange, the movement that I feel isn't just the sensation of the babies floating around or a kick or punch. I am now feeling their limbs on the inside of my tummy. Over and over a head, shoulder, knee, etc. seems to run along my insides. It's not necessarily uncomfortable, although sometimes they really catch me off guard. It's funny, one of the babies kicks real hard, I jump and then Jeremy jumps. It's the true definition of a knee-jerk reaction. I feel their lower extremities quite a bit as well. Someone (usually Baby A) almost always has a knee, leg or foot right up in my ribs. I get even whenever I can though. As soon as I feel a foot push forward on my tummy, I push right back. They never like that. They usually move to a different spot or kick me. I tell Jeremy all of the time that I wonder if Baby A will not like having his/her legs or feet messed with once he/she is born. It will be interesting to see.
We have another doctor appointment tomorrow. Scary enough, it's my last appointment with Dr. Okun for two weeks because she leaves for vacation. I hope that it doesn't cause me to go into labor like it does when you're at a restaurant and the food comes when someone goes to the bathroom. We really want Dr. Okun to deliver the babies. She's pretty excited too. She said she hasn't naturally delivered a set of twins in over two years. Who knows. If there's anything I've been able to glean from these last couple of months, it's to expect the unexpected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To expect the unexpected is right! I pray that you are able to go to 36 weeks Ms. Mam. That's about how far along I was when Cari & Cami decided they weren't going to wait any longer. But I give you Kudos beyond all reason. I wasn't able to stand the bed rest and my anal retentive genes won out in the end. You are truely awesome! You said something about the babies turning and being suprized the last time it happend. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but both girls were still turning @ 35wks. Anyway! Take care guys and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! ~Cassie~

Sally said...

It's so crazy that you wrote all this Monday! That's just GoD and Mom's intuition...I guess. God would not give you more than you can handle, I can't wait to see you and hear the story. I'm in awe.