Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Father's Day Weekend


For Father's Day, the boys and I loaded up on Friday and headed to Chama to spend the weekend with my dad and the rest of my family {Jer went fishing with his dad and grandpa}! It was a little hectic and I was pretty much second guessing my decision about an hour into our DVD-less drive, but once we were there we had a lot of fun and enjoyed our weekend away with my family! 
The Deuce had an especially good time, mostly because their  every request was met with great enthusiasm by a Grampa and Nana who just love them to pieces {I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual}!  I think their excitement was also spurred on by the fact that they got to do a lot of things that they wouldn't otherwise do at home, like taking a bath in the kitchen sink. They had a good time! And I had a good time trying out dad's new Sham Wow!  
 -----------------------------------------------------------
I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the whole weekend was just sitting on the deck and enjoying the quiet. It is so amazingly peaceful in the mountains! Every night, we would all hang out and enjoy the sun setting and the coolness of the evening. It was lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent talking and laughing with my family. It's not often that we all are in a place with no distractions! And it's even more infrequent that we get to debate over whether the constellation we're looking at is the Big Dipper or the Little Dipper, all the while eating a S'more.                                                       
This weekend was also filled with lots and lots of horseback rides and visits to the barn. The boys just think it's the neatest thing to have real live horses just a stone's throw away. I had to laugh after I took the photo above {of dad and Vicky taking the boys on a ride}, only because it seemed to me that for once, somebody else looked like a bigger circus than I do when I travel with all three kids by myself! And even though the boys got to do most of the riding this weekend, dad still convinced me to break away and go with him for a "short" ride. Two and half hours later, we begrudgingly returned. I'm here to tell you, what's beautiful on foot, is even more beautiful on horseback!
The rest of our weekend was just as delightful; lots of laughs, and time spent shooting, riding four wheelers  and horses, and {of course!} eating good food!


On Saturday, we also took the boys to the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad to see the trains. I don't think I've ever seen Ben stand so still. While the trains moved but only a few inches, the boys' sense of awe was absolutely contagious. Pretty soon, I don't think they'll let us get away without riding it!
It was a wonderful weekend and while we were sad to load up and head home on Sunday, we were also thankful that we got to spend the day with my dad in Chama and  also back home, with Jer!

1 comment:

Aunt Kim said...

Perfect!