Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ben and Abe's Namesakes

Quite a few people have been asking how we named the boys and more specifically if we named them after presidents. As much as I respect our country's presidents, Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Harrison are NOT who we named them after. To help clarify, here are the boy's namesakes.
To begin with, it was important to Jeremy and I that the boys have Biblical names. However, we also wanted them to have meaning. So...
Benjamin Thomas: Benjamin was my mother's father, my grandfather, who passed away when she was a teenager. In the Bible, Benjamin was also the 12th, youngest and most beloved son of Jacob. The name Benjamin means "Son of my right hand." We just really liked the name. As for Thomas, it is Jeremy's middle name and close to my dad's name. Thomas also is a Biblical name and means "twin" in Hebrew. Ahhh! It's all coming together for you now isn't it??!?!
Abraham Isaac: To be honest, Abraham was the only other Biblical boy name we could agree on. I wasn't really even a big fan of the name but I let it slide because I was SO CONVINCED there was not two boys in there! Ha! Jeremy wanted the name Ezra and I liked anything but! Anyway, when Abe was born Jeremy was shocked and I was drugged and somehow we gave our precious boy this name! Not so sentimental this one is it?!?! As for Isaac, this is a family name on Jeremy's side. His great grandma, the boy's great-great, was an Isaac. She is still living and we wanted to honor her by giving one of the boys her family name.
So there it is. How we named the kiddos.

No comments: